Greetings from the Chemistry Education Research (CER) committee! The committee has been very busy lately; here are a few of the highlights.
Transition of CER listserv
- The CER listserv has been moved from the servers at Miami University to the ChemEd-X server. All prior subscribers were merged to the new list. Details about signing up for an account or editing an existing account can be found at cer.chemedx.org.
- CER committee members now moderate the listserv.
- Many thanks to Jon Holmes for volunteering to build the server space, training the moderators, and diligently dealing with technology issues when they arose.
- Special thanks to Stacey Lowery Bretz for developing and hosting the original list, it has proved to be a vital resource for the CER community.
Undergraduate CER poster awards
- The CER committee is sponsoring an award for the best undergraduate CER poster presented at an ACS national meeting.
- In collaboration with the Younger Chemistry Education Scholars, posters at each national meeting are reviewed and rubric scored. Winners receive $100.
- In addition to reviewing the posters, CER committee members also assist the ACS program committee in categorizing submitted undergraduate poster abstracts into the CER and other division sections.
Development of CER resources
- In addition to the ChemEd-X server hosting the CER listserv, this new platform will allow for a variety of new features, including a place to house CER resources pages.
- The committee is currently working to compile a list of resource ideas for the first generation of the web pages.
- Committee members will be working with Jon Holmes to build out these aspects of the chemedx.org site. Stay tuned!
Jack Barbera – CER committee chair
Portland State University