The Division of Chemical Education (DivCHED) is one of the 32 technical divisions within the American Chemical Society (ACS). Its members come from the entire educational spectrum (pre-secondary, secondary, two- and four-year colleges, universities, research institutions), and include those from industry who are concerned about the education and professional training of future chemists and other molecular scientists. DivCHED provides a common ground for teachers and students of chemistry to examine chemical education in its broadest sense through its committee and governance structure, website, Newsletter, programs at national and regional ACS meetings, the ACS Exams Institute, the Biennial Conference on Chemical Education (BCCE), and the premier journal in its field, the Journal of Chemical Education.
- To be recognized as the global leader in investigating and promoting issues related to the teaching and learning of chemistry
- To promote the scholarly exchange of information about the processes by which original knowledge and investigations are made understandable and usable to others
- To afford a meeting ground for teachers and students of chemistry as well as others who are interested in the larger aspects of chemical education
Who We Are
- DivCHED has about 6000 members from the entire educational spectrum
- governance is by an Executive Committee
- much work is done by Committees
- major activities have full-time offices:
- our Bylaws (approved March, 2018)
What We Do
- Exams Institute
- ChemED X
- National Science Digital Library
- Awards and Endowments
- publishing DivCHED Newsletter
- holding online conferences
- NCW and Earth Day celebrations
- providing outreach assistance (on-hold as reorganization of JCE, Exams Institute and CHED is under consideration)
- collaboration with the ACS Education Division
- sponsoring the Chemistry Teacher Program at National ACS Meetings
Are you interested in serving, or know of division members who are willing to become involved?
Bylaws of the Division of Chemical Education, Inc. of the American Chemical Society. Effective March 15, 2018.
Strategic Plan for the Division of Chemical Education
DivCHED is comprised of a variety of committees and boards whose focus is Chemical Education.